Medical Director, Immuno-Oncology Pipeline
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Medical Director, Immuno-Oncology Pipeline - Global Medical Affairs is responsible for working closely with VP and Senior Medical Director, Global Medical Affairs, to build, monitor, track, manage, and assist with the implementation of the Global Medical Affairs strategic initiatives and MSL activities for Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany Global Medical Affairs Therapeutic Area of Oncology. Work closely with Medical Directors - Oncology, and cross-functionally with Medical Operations, Research & Development, Global Business Franchise, Medical Information, Regulatory, Legal and Finance to develop, deliver and align Strategic Plans and tactics for Oncology. Responsible for planning, strategy, tactics, operations, activities, and tracking (milestones and budget) of pipeline team. This role requires close collaboration and alignment of goals and objectives of Global Medical Affairs, with Global Medical Functions, Global Medical Affairs/GCDU/GEDU, as well as strategic partners.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with VP and Senior Medical Director of Global Medical Affairs Oncology to work with R&D team to set direction, implement strategy and ensure delivery of outcomes for Global Medical Affairs function
- Work closely with R&D oncology team to integrate medical strategies into early pipeline plans, projects and processes
- Provide guidance to Medical Team to assure delivery of key Medical Affairs Oncology objectives as related to Medical Affairs medical plan and corporate objectives, and in a highly dynamic environment
- Integrate strategies, tactics and programs to accomplish Medical Affairs Oncology objectives
- Set, track and provide status updates about Medical Affairs Oncology programs and related processes within the department
- Provide program management support in the development, communication, and implementation of Medical Affairs programs, policies and procedures.
- Represent Oncology Medical Affairs on the Medical Academy Council and supervise development of all Oncology Medical Affairs training materials
- Collaborate with other therapeutic areas to leverage Medical Affairs Oncology expertise and programs as appropriate
- Work closely with and ensure collaboration between Medical Affairs Oncology and all other functions within the CMO organization
- Provide close collaboration and alignment of goals and objectives with strategic partners
- Work with MSL team to support R&D initiatives including clinical trial investigator site selection, and training of trial investigators
CANDIDATE'S PROFILE EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- Advanced degree: MD
- English (German a plus)
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 5 years of managerial responsibilities in the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry with demonstration of successful results
- Prior experience of at least 3 years in Oncology Medical Affairs required
- Demonstrated understanding of the clinical development and post-marketing environment for pharmaceuticals including post-marketing clinical studies and medical affairs strategic initiatives
- Excellent management, teamwork, communication and presentation skills and solid experience in developing strategic plans and oversight processes
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams, manage a diverse work group, motivate them, and maximize productivity
- Creation and oversight of cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in developing and leading teams in changing competitive environment, changing product technology, and changing needs
- Experience in working in an environment, which integrates all business unit functions
- Demonstrated orientation & credibility with internal and external customers
- Creation of solid plans and reports for which performance and progress can be measured and evaluated
- Knowledge and application of business planning & leadership principles, such as goal setting, action plans, monitoring tools, directive and supportive techniques to develop and implement action plans
- Possess strong budget experience and knowledge
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- High achiever and team player who thrives in high risk/high reward environment
- Strategic planner with excellent organizational skills
- Driven to goals by motivating team members
- Excellent people skills
- Ability to manage and lead people
- High integrity and work ethic
- Adaptability and ability to remain focused in the presence of shifting priorities and strategies in timely response to the business climate.
- Normal and routine office duties
- Able to travel 40%
EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group. We strive to create value and benefit patients by transforming medical science into breakthrough solutions in our core therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of expertise.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.